MacBzip2 Home Page
Last modification date: Sep 16, 1999
Last version: MacBzip2 0.0b2
Here you are the last version of MacBzip2. If you don't like it; you can take the source code and
make a better one :)
Quoting bzip2 Home Page: "bzip2 is a freely available, patent free (see below), high-quality data compressor. It typically compresses files to within 10% to
15% of the best available techniques, whilst being around twice as fast at compression and six times faster at decompression."
So MacBzip2 is simply bzip2 ported to MacOS. Currently, it will run on any Macintosh with
68020 or better CPU and on any PowerMac running system 7.0 or later.
bzip2 is very similar to gzip in it's origin and usage; and the same applies to MacBzip2, so
you should read MacGzip pages, I won't repeat here all that information...
Please, note this is the very first MacBzip2 release. bzip2 code passes the tests included with
bzip2 sources; and Macintosh code has been tested a lot on MacGzip; but I can't be sure it works
on every situation.
So, if you want to use it to backup some very important files be warned:
Anyway if you are deleting your originals after compressing them, you should compare them
against the expanded ones first. "Checksum" may help here.
- bzip2 is not a backup tool
- MacBzip2 is still not too much tested
- Sources upgraded to MW CW Pro 4 (IDE 3.3).
- 68k optimized code now uses 4i.
- Changed defaults to "KeepOriginal".
- Unlimited batch queue. (ok, limited by MacBzip2 RAM partition)
- Fixed file type to match the one used by EasyBZ. (Rebuild your Desktop!)
- Fixed bug in the "Resource Fork not empty" alert "Discard" button.
- Fixed bug in fs_putc which could give incorrect ASCII expanded files.
- Fixed bug: original bzip2 code didn't always check for putc IO errors.
- Fixed bug: sign error in fs_putc could cause bogus "noErr" alerts.
- Fixed bug: bogus alert when exists a folder with outName.
- Fixed bug: BlockSize not updated when first opening Prefs. Dialog.
- Fixed bug: Crash in 68k when opening Prefs. Dialog.
- Fixed Bug: dest. folder ignored for manually selected modes.
- Add some SpinCursor calls to MPW code.
- Fixed stupid bug in "copyDateAndPermissions" which crashed MacBzip at the end of bunziping files.
- Fixed even more stupid bug in "doFree" which caused crashes and memory leaks.
- Fixed Bug: in ReleaseMovableModal "CloseWindow" should be "DisposeWindow"
- Changed a missed "gunzip" string to "bunzip2" :-)
- Fixed Bug: MacBinary II+ decode in previous versions zeroed "has custom icon" flag.
- 68k code now uses 4i
- Sources upgraded to MW CW Pro 3 (IDE 2.1)
- First release. Handle with care!
- Keep in sync with the latest bzip2 release.
- Add suport for bzip (pre-bzip2) files.
Bugs? Are you sure?
See MacBzip2 History anyway...
The fastest way is by e-mail. You can use any of the adresses at
the bottom of this page. Make sure your 'Reply
Adress' is correct!
You can use also the s-mail adress:
José A. Gutiérrez
Centro Politécnico Superior
Universidad de Zaragoza
(Dpto. Lenguajes y Sistemas Informáticos)
María de Luna, 3 50015 ZARAGOZA, SPAIN